Whistleblowers are principled and courageous men and women who speak out when powerful government and corporate interests are engaged in misconduct. Often, when institutions like these are challenged, they fight back. Hard.
Employees who “blow the whistle” may be fired or subject to reprisal, such as having their phones tapped, computers confiscated, or security clearances revoked. At great personal and professional risk, they expose wrongdoing to ensure that government agencies, public utilities, and powerful corporations alike are held accountable.
At Seldon Bofinger, we take great pride in our work as whistleblower protection lawyers. We have represented and advocated for clients who:
- Demanded accurate reports of nuclear accident investigations;
- Spoke out about sex harassment in federal law enforcement;
- Disclosed the diversion of public funds to discontinued federal programs;
- Disclosed safety issues in the event of earthquake and natural disaster in the commercial nuclear industry;
- Objected when a federal law enforcement agency tried to curtail parental leave for a new father whose wife had medical complications;
- Spoke to media outlets out on the record about OSHA’s systematic under-reporting of injuries in the manufacturing, construction, and agricultural industries.
Whistleblower Laws and Regulations
There are several laws and regulations that apply to public and private sector whistleblowers. They prohibit retaliation against employees – and sometimes job applicants, contractors, and private citizens as well – for reporting potential violations of laws and regulations related to:
- Environmental protection and conservation
- Consumer financial products
- Securities trading
- Workplace health and safety
- Transportation safety
- Energy industry safety
- Food safety
- Consumer product safety
- The payment of wages
- Tax fraud
- Insurance fraud
- Government fraud, waste, and abuse
Navigating a whistleblower reprisal claim is an extremely daunting process for anyone, including inexperienced attorneys. There are often tight deadlines that must be observed and legal hoops that must be jumped through before a claim is ripe for litigation. You need a law firm on your side that understands the process and the venues where such claims are brought. At Seldon Bofinger, our seasoned whistleblower lawyers have extensive knowledge and experience in this field, and have earned a reputation as fierce opponents.
If you believe you have been subject to whistleblower reprisal or want to know your rights before you blow the whistle, please contact us for a consultation.
Get started by filling out our Case Inquiry form.